I. How do I find books on a specific grade level?
1. Click on the IG12 Subject Guide Early Childhood, Elementary, Middle School, or High School tab
2. Scroll down to click on Children’s Literature Comprehensive Database (sun icon)
3. Fill in the search term box at the top of the screen with your subject
4. Use the drop down boxes below the search bar to limit the search based on grade, age level, genre, date of publication, reading level, etc. – i.e. rivers – grade 9 – 2005 to 2020.
5. Click on a book’s title to read the reviews for that book
6. To see if MSU Libraries own the book, click on “Click here to check if your library holds this title.” If we own it, the record will appear, if not, you have the option to click on MOBIUS to see if you can reserve it through our consortium and have it sent to a location near you. (See below.)
7. Use the subject heading lines to find similar items
II. Now that I’ve found some good titles, where can I find them on the shelves?
1. Finding a book in IG12:
1. There are 4 main areas within IG12; each has its own location code that you will see on the library catalog record: MSU Meyer Curric Juv denotes an item in our small school library area; MSU Meyer Curric General denotes an item in our Curriculum Guide area; MSU Meyer Curric Textbook denotes an item in our Textbook area; and MSU Meyer Curric Kit denotes an item in our Curriculum Kit area. Please ASK us to help you find your items – after you do this once or twice you’ll be able to navigate on your own!
2. Finding a book in Haseltine Library at Greenwood:
1. Go to Haseltine Library and ask the assistant at the desk to help you locate the book; as a working K-12 library they often have students in, but are always willing to assist you!
3. Searching for a book in MOBIUS or Prospector:
1. If you do NOT find your title using Meyer’s catalog, keep the search screen up. Click on the “Search MOBIUS” box to see if another library in our consortium has it
2. If MOBIUS has the book, click “Request”
3. Our ‘cluster’ is SWAN – use the drop-down box to choose it. Click “Submit above information”
4. Fill in the boxes – your ID is your M Number; type this in and include the ‘M’ – follow this with MSU (all caps, no spaces at all). Use the drop-down box to choose your pick-up location (usually MSU Library). Submit. You will receive an email when your item is ready to pick up.
5. Not available in MOBIUS? Click on the “Prospector” icon and follow directions.
4. Searching for a book in the Springfield Greene County Library system:
1. Go to http://thelibrary.org and click on the “Catalog” tab at the top right of the screen
2. Fill in the title and click on “Go”
3. Click on “Request it” to the left of the screen and follow instructions
5. Searching in our E-Book Collections
1. From http://libraries.missouristate.edu click on Articles and Databases and click on Find articles by subject. Then click on E-Books in the left column. Click on Ebooks – K-12 and then on EBSCOhost K-12. Choose your grade level and search by subject.
III. I have to find titles for children and young adults fast – how do I do this?
To search for titles within IG12 on a specific topic:
1. From the Libraries Main Page, place a term in the Keyword Search screen and click Search
2. When the results come up, click on the blue Modify Search icon near the top of the screen
3. Scroll down to the Specific Library Location dropdown box, go to MSU Meyer-Curriculum
(Also try the dropdown box for MSU Greenwood School)
4. Click the Submit key for results
5. You can also narrow your search using the "Other Format" dropdown box. Try "Music Audio" to get CDs, or "Pics/Posters" to find a poster on your topic.
6. If you find a specific title and our copy is not available, click on the Search MOBIUS button and request it from another library in our consortium
7. Try our new eBooks! Refer to IV.3.5. to access our K-12 ebook collection!
IV. How do I find books with ideas for activities and lesson plans?
To find books with ideas (in IG12 we call these “Curriculum Guides”):
1. From the IG12 Subject Guide (See #I) Early Childhood, Elementary, Middle or High School tab, click on SWAN in the left column; this puts you into the keyword search screen.
1. Fill in a keyword along with the phrase and activit* and scroll down to the Specific Library Location dropdown box, go to MSU Meyer-Curriculum (Also try the dropdown box for MSU Greenwood School)
2. Click the Submit key for results
3. Try science and activit* or ecology and activit* or mathematics and activit* to find resources
4. When you find a few activity books online, be sure to scan the shelves nearby for more titles!
V. How do I find lesson plans online?
1. Click on the Early Childhood, Elementary, Middle School, or High School tab
2. Scroll down – the middle screen contains a box called “Lesson Planning”
3. Try a number of these to find ideas!
VI. Is there a quick way to learn how to use the Libraries’ resources?
1. From the Libraries main page, click on Research and Collections in the left-hand column, then scroll down to click on the Searchpath Tutorial and follow the directions given. There are 6 modules; each takes from 10-15 minutes.